Re: Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names
Date
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> For constraints, we'd need to change the code to be more careful to
>> generate unique names for unnamed constraints.  That doesn't seem

> Another question would be what to do with inherited constraints that
> conflict in multiple inheritance cases.  It'd probably be safe to rename
> those on the child table to be unique,

I'd just raise an error, I think, unless perhaps the constraints are
identical (for some definition of identical).  We don't allow
conflicting column definitions to be inherited, so why constraints?
        regards, tom lane