Re: Repair cosmetic damage (done by pg_indent?) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Repair cosmetic damage (done by pg_indent?)
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I think these are some more comments which were misaligned by pg_indent a
> couple of releases ago. I recall Bruce fixed a bug in pg_indent which was
> causing it and the damage looked something like this.

> I also reduced the indentation so the comments didn't take so many lines.

pg_indent would just push the indentation back over, so the latter part
isn't going to help.  I cleaned it up a bit, but not exactly like that.

> Fwiw, do we really not want to compress anything smaller than 256 bytes
> (everyone in Postgres uses the default strategy, not the always strategy).

This is one of many places where no one got around to doing performance
testing/tweaking after the original commit.  Given the way that
tuptoaster actually uses the compressor (ie, compressing only the
largest fields to start with), I tend to agree that having the
compressor reject input a-priori might be a bad idea.  Needs testing.

            regards, tom lane