Re: explain statements question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: explain statements question
Date
List pgsql-novice
LM <lmemsm@gmail.com> writes:
> We're using PostgreSQL (10.6) as part of a product at work that's
> maintained by a third party company.  I've been monitoring queries to the
> PostgreSQL database using PGAdmin3's server status functionality.  Lately,
> we've been seeing a lot of queries (via the server status page and or
> checking pg_stat_activity) that start with Explain (FORMAT XML, VERBOSE
> true).  Would explain ever be run because of a PostgreSQL setting or
> another SQL statement sent to the database or would we only see this if the
> application sent a literal "explain" command in SQL to the database?

Something is sending that.

> Also, if someone knows a good replacement tool for the server status page
> in PGAdmin3 that will work with later versions of PostgreSQL (such as 12),
> would very much appreciate hearing about it.

The pgAdmin people will tell you to switch to pgAdmin 4.  I don't
know enough about the differences to know what problems that might
create for you, but that's the official position.  pgAdmin 3 is
out of support.

            regards, tom lane