Re: Stream pg_dumpall directly from CentOS7 to Red Hat server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Holger Jakobs
Subject Re: Stream pg_dumpall directly from CentOS7 to Red Hat server
Date
List pgsql-admin
Am 28.07.24 um 14:29 schrieb Laurenz Albe:
> On Sun, 2024-07-28 at 13:09 +0530, Wasim Devale wrote:
>> Can I use below command directly stream pg_dumpall from CentOS7 to RedHat 9:
>>
>> pg_dumpall -U postgres | ssh postgres@redhat_ip_address "psql -U postgres"
> No idea, but the correct way is
>
>    pg_dumpall -U postgres | psql -h redhat_ip_address -U postgres
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

This way the (old) psql tool of the current system (CentOS) would be
used. If in doubt, it's better to use the psql of the destination (Red
Hat) machine. Therefore, the idea using ssh isn't a bad one.

You could also execute the following command on the Red Hat machine:

pg_dumpall -h centos_ip_address -U postgres | psql -U postgres

This way, you'll use the newer versions of pg_dumpall and psql installed
on the Red Hat machine.
--

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach

Attachment