Re: Backend protocol wanted features - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kevin Wooten
Subject Re: Backend protocol wanted features
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Ok well if you define as new protocol as any change, regardless of backwards compatibility, then yes.  I would define a
“newprotocol” as something that has breaking changes with a previous version or at the very least a known deviation
fromexisting behavior.

Extending the protocol with some “well-defined” notifications (using the system that is already well-defined) is not
somethingI would consider a new protocol.

I guess like you suggested we’re talking about the semantics of a “3.1” versus “4.0”.  I’m looking for mostly “3.1”
typeof stuff.