Re: postgres slower on nested queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres slower on nested queries
Date
List pgsql-general
> Alexander Elgert wrote:
>> I found the postgres version VERY slow, so a decided to fetch

> Define VERY - it took what, milliseconds to do this? Seconds? Hours?

I think he's complaining that the standards-conformant view in Postgres
is slower than the specialized SHOW command in mysql.  For an
apples-to-apples comparison, select directly from the system catalogs
--- the information_schema views are definitely slower, because they
have to enforce various spec restrictions (eg that you can't see info
about tables you don't have access to).

            regards, tom lane