Re: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column
Date
Re: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Well, we *do* have a syntax for specifying a new default (the same one
>> that worked pre-7.0 and does now again).  I guess what you are proposing
>> is the rule "If conflicting default values are inherited from multiple
>> parents that each define the same column name, then an error is reported
>> unless the child table redeclares the column and specifies a new default
>> to override the inherited ones".

> This was the idea.  If it's to complicated to do now, let's at least keep
> it in mind.

You and Nathan appear to like it, and no one else has objected.
I shall make it so.

Philip: the rule that pg_dump needs to apply w.r.t. defaults for
inherited fields is that if an inherited field has a default and
either (a) no parent table supplies a default, or (b) any parent
table supplies a default different from the child's, then pg_dump
had better emit the child field explicitly.