Re: psql: FATAL: role "xyz" is not permitted to log in - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql: FATAL: role "xyz" is not permitted to log in
Date
List pgsql-general
Ralph Smith <smithrn@washington.edu> writes:
> I just can't connect to a database, though I can to others as other
> users...

You're confused about the rules for case sensitivity.

> postgres=# CREATE DATABASE LabNews_dev WITH OWNER=xyz ENCODING='UTF8' ;
> CREATE DATABASE

This got folded to lower case, since you didn't double-quote the
name.  However, most places where you use a database name outside
the context of SQL commands, no such folding occurs --- in particular
not on psql's command line, and IIRC not in pg_hba.conf either.

            regards, tom lane