Re: need higher extra_float_digits value (3) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: need higher extra_float_digits value (3)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Keh-Cheng Chu <kehcheng@solar2.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> While 17 decimal digits are sufficient to guarantee the
> complete recovery of all 64-bit double values, some 32-bit
> reals actually require NINE significant figures.

Hm, annoying.  Seems like we could do one of two things:

1. Increase the max extra_float_digits value to 3 and have pg_dump use
that.

2. Split extra_float_digits into two settings so that float4 and float8
can use different settings.

Offhand the only argument I can see for #2 is that #1 might bloat dump
files unnecessarily --- but it's not likely to be significant on a
percentage basis.

We'd also need to check the code to be sure it's leaving room for the
extra digit in all cases, though I doubt there's really any problem.

Comments?

            regards, tom lane