Re: Enabling autovacuum per table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rijo Roy
Subject Re: Enabling autovacuum per table
Date
List pgsql-general
Yeah when age(relfrozenxid) goes beyond the limit Postgresql will invoke the autovacuum session to avoid a wraparound issue.. But here that's not the case..

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 2:58 pm, Arthur Zakirov
<a.zakirov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
On 10/15/18 11:01 AM, Rijo Roy wrote:

> Hello Experts,
>
> Is there any possibility for autovacuum to work on a user table if we set
> Alter table sometable set (autovacuum_enabled = true) ; even if the
> parameter autovacuum = off in Postgresql.conf
>
> I am using Postgresql 10 on Linux 6.9.
>
> According to me, it won't work without setting autovacuum = on except
> for Template0 database. What is your opinion?

I think you are right, autovacuum won't vacuum and analyze a table
without setting autovacuum = on. But PostgreSQL might want to force
vacuum if a table is at risk of wraparound.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company