Re: Addition to: Trouble with initdb when the #define NAMEDATALEN = 51 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Addition to: Trouble with initdb when the #define NAMEDATALEN = 51
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"G. Anthony Reina" <reina@nsi.edu> writes:
>> In postgres_ext.h, I changed:
>>
>> #define NAMEDATALEN 32
>> #define NAMEDATALEN 51
>>
>> Everything compiled and installed. However, the initdb started up but
>> then just said that it failed.

I have not tried that in awhile, but the last time I did, it worked
fine.  Are you sure you did a *complete* rebuild?  I'd suggest make
distclean at the top level, configure, make all, install, initdb.

BTW, 51 is a gratuitously wasteful setting --- given alignment
considerations, any value that's not a multiple of 4 is pointless.
(It should work ... but it's pointless.)