Re: Press Release, Final Draft? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Sabino Mullane
Subject Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

> This release includes many features previously only available in the most expensive
> proprietary database software, and is expected to dramatically increase the adoption
> of PostgreSQL by both developers and software vendors.

"developers and software vendors" - um, what about users? When I think of "developer",
I think of the "developers" mentioned in the next paragraph: e.g. pg hackers.

> In addition to reaching a new milestone in scalability, PostgreSQL 8.0 demonstrates the
> unparalleled development ability of open source. Red Hat, Fujitsu, Afilias, SRA of Japan,
> 2nd Quadrant, Command Prompt, and more than a dozen other companies as well as over
> 200 individual developers contributed to add more major features to 8.0 than have been
> seen in any previous version.

The second sentence introduces a large list before explaining what the real noun of the
sentence is ("companies") - perhaps "Many companies, including ..."

Simply "hundreds of developers" sounds better than "over 200 individual developers"

> Oh, and Peter, I need to list "SRA of Japan" because there is an SRA, Inc. in
> the US which is a different company.

Do they have distinct legal names?

> And I'm currently polling Hackers for more companies to avoid leaving anyone out.

Do we have a list to back up our "more than a dozen other" claim?

> Point in Time Recovery: Point in Time Recovery provides a full recovery
> model that allows data recovery from bare-metal to the point of failure or
> to a specific point in time, based around automatically archived
> transaction logs.

Lose the "bare-metal" phrase - it jumps out at the reader and sits there,
glaring at you, even if you know what it means.

> Adaptive Replacement Cache, the Background Writer, and Lazy Vacuum.

I dislike "lazy vacuum": 'lazy' has some very negative connotations, irregardless
of the technology it represents in this case. Call it an "advanced vacuuming system"

> Several stored procedure languages have been added or greatly expanded,
> including PL/Java, PL/PHP and PL/Perl

It might be nice to sneak in a mention that we already have a whole slew of
languages that have been available for a long time already.

> Of course, there are many more new features. =A0 For a full list, see our=
> Press Page <link>

Perhaps "for a full description of all the new items in version 8.0, see ..."

> With more than 18 years of development by hundreds of the world's
> most generous and brilliant minds from the open source community,

Laying it on a bit thick.

> To find out more about PostgreSQL or to download it, please visit:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/

Sure would be nice to have the new page up by then. Oops, wrong list! :)

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200409230702