Re: Press Release, Final Draft? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 23:21, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
> > PostgreSQL is available under a BSD-style license, which imposes no
> > restrictions on commercial or noncommercial redistribution and use.
>
> well, gramatically it's:
> PostgreSQL is available under a BSD-style license, which imposes restrictions
> on neither commercial nor noncommercial redistribution and use.

Is it? Thats a mouthful. And technically not true, since there is a
restriction, which is that you must keep the copyright notices in tact.
How about "which imposes no penalties for commercial or non-commercial
use."

> I also question the need for "-style".    Last I checked, we were using *the*
> BSD license.

Well, were not use *the* BSD license, since our version is not the most
current. However I do think that adding the "-style" will only confuse
people, so I am all for leaving it out since afaik we are using *a* BSD
license.

BTW - On the web page we call it a licence.

Robert Treat