Re: Press Release, Final Draft? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date
Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
List pgsql-advocacy
Greg, Robert, Merlin,

> "developers and software vendors" - um, what about users? When I think of
> "developer", I think of the "developers" mentioned in the next paragraph:
> e.g. pg hackers.

Hmmm ... good point.   What's meant there is "application developers", but I
don't want to make the sentence any longer.   "users" it is.

> The second sentence introduces a large list before explaining what the real
> noun of the sentence is ("companies") - perhaps "Many companies, including
> ..."

Hmmm.   I can see that.

> Simply "hundreds of developers" sounds better than "over 200 individual
> developers"

How do other people feel about this?   I prefer the concrete number.

> > Oh, and Peter, I need to list "SRA of Japan" because there is an SRA,
> > Inc. in the US which is a different company.
>
> Do they have distinct legal names?

Hmmm ... Software Research Associates, Inc., is the Japanese
PostgreSQL-supporting company.    I can't find SRA International Inc's name
spelled out anywhere on their web site and they don't google on "Software
Research Associates"; so maybe we just spell it out.

> Do we have a list to back up our "more than a dozen other" claim?

Not that I've assembled, but do you doubt it?   Here's a sampling: Aglio
Database Solutions, TDMSoft, creatediv, Cybertec.at, dbExperts, Peer Direct.

> I dislike "lazy vacuum": 'lazy' has some very negative connotations,
> irregardless of the technology it represents in this case. Call it an
> "advanced vacuuming system"

Sorry, that's the name of the feature.

> It might be nice to sneak in a mention that we already have a whole slew of
> languages that have been available for a long time already.

I'd be happy to see you write something up for the extended version on the web
site.   The to-be-mailed version is pretty long already.

> Perhaps "for a full description of all the new items in version 8.0, see
> ..."

I can see that.

> BTW - On the web page we call it a licence.

British vs. American spelling.

> Like: "which provides royalty free distribution for com and non-com
> use".

I like this, a little tweaked:

PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which allows fee-free use and
distribution, for both commercial and non-commercial use.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions