Re: Time to run initdb is mostly figure-out-the-timezone work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Time to run initdb is mostly figure-out-the-timezone work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 06:20:39PM +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Le 18/12/2009 18:07, Tom Lane a �crit :
>>> On current Fedora 11, there is a huge difference in initdb time if you
>>> have TZ set versus if you don't: I get about 18 seconds versus less than
>>> four.

>> I have the exact same issue:

> For whatever it's worth, I get it too, on Ubuntu 9.04... ~4s without TZ vs.
> ~1.8s with TZ.

BTW, I just realized that it makes a difference that I customarily use
the configure option --with-system-tzdata=/usr/share/zoneinfo on that
machine.  I do it mainly because it saves a few seconds during "make
install", but also because Red Hat's PG packages use that option so I
want to test it regularly.  The impact of this is that the TZ search
also has to scan through a bunch of leap-second-aware timezone files,
which are not present in a default PG build's timezone tree.  So that
probably explains why I see a 4x slowdown while you get more like 2x.
Still, it seems worth doing something about, if it's as easy as a
one-line addition.