Re: pg_dump 3 times as slow after 8.4 -> 9.5 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Henrik Cednert (Filmlance)
Subject Re: pg_dump 3 times as slow after 8.4 -> 9.5 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ha! So forcing compression to 0 i went from 644 minutes to 87 minutes. And this time I backed it to a afp share and from the looks of it I hit the roof on that eth interface. Size of backup went from 50GB to 260 GB though, hehehe.

So something seems to have changed regarding default compression level between 8.x and 9.6 when doing a custom format dump. I will time all the different levels and see if I can find out more.

WHat's the normal way to deal with compression? Dump uncompressed and use something that threads better to compress the dump?

Cheers

--
Henrik Cednert
cto | compositor