Index behavior question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Dmitri Touretsky
List pgsql-novice
Good time of the day!

It might be that this question is for hackers group, but 'cause I'm
novice I've decided to ask here first :))

In the docs it's written that index changes every time update is done
to the table. But if I update the field which is not indexed - will
postgres spend much time on changing indexes?

The idea is that I have a large table with many indexes defined. The
table has much more selects, than updates or inserts. But in this
table there are few fields which do not require indexing, but needs to
be updates relatively often. Yet I want to keep selects as fast as
possible. And now I'm thinking if it worth to create a separate table
with foreign key defined for those fields...

--
Best regards,
 Dmitri Touretsky ( dmitri@listsoft.ru )

New SOFT daily (RUS):  http://www.listsoft.ru/