Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC
Date
Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC  (Florian Pflug <fgp.phlo.org@gmail.com>)
Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Florian Pflug:

> On 16.12.09 16:40 , Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Nicolas Barbier<nicolas.barbier@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure whether the serialization failures that it may cause
>>>  are dependent on the plan used.
>>
>> They are.
>
> But so are failures due to deadlocks even today, no?

They are detected.  In this context, "serialization failure" means
that PostgreSQL generates a history which lacks one-copy
serializability, without reporting any errors.  (In the general case,
the unique constraint violation which bugs me personally is a
different beast and does result in an error.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99