Re: [HACKERS] Undetected corruption of table files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Undetected corruption of table files
Date
List pgsql-general
* Alban Hertroys:

> If you have a "proper" production database server, your memory has
> error checking, and your RAID controller has something of the kind
> as well.

To my knowledge, no readily available controller performs validation
on reads (not even for RAID-1 or RAID-10, where it would be pretty
straightforward).

Something like an Adler32 checksum (not a full CRC) on each page might
be helpful.  However, what I'd really like to see is something that
catches missed writes, but this is very difficult to implement AFAICT.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99