Re: connection handling in 7.4.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: connection handling in 7.4.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Scott Yeadon <scott.yeadon@anu.edu.au> writes:
> The log output postgres returned is as follows:
>   FATAL: the database system is shutting down

Sounds to me like something told the postmaster to shut down (sent it a
SIGTERM signal, in other words).  If you are certain you did not do this
manually, look around to see if there's any resource-limiting code in
effect that might try to kill the postmaster after it's used X amount of
cpu time or disk space or whatever.

> A secondary issue is that postmaster will not shut down properly under 7.4.1,
> I always have to use the "fast" shutdown mode.

You have a client that's not letting go of its connection.

            regards, tom lane