Re: [HACKERS] Doccumentation Patch for Create Function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Doccumentation Patch for Create Function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit@pop.dn.net> wrote (a couple weeks ago):
> When I was altering the xfunc.sgml page I came across this:

>       <title>Name Space Conflicts</title>
>       <para>
>       As of <productname>Postgres</productname> v6.5,
>       <command>CREATE FUNCTION</command> can decouple a C language
>       function name from the name of the entry point. This is now the
>       preferred technique to accomplish function overloading.
>       </para>

> which seems to suggest that someone had a similar idea in the past.  I
> could find no evidence of this functionality in the 6.5 code though

That's talking about builtin functions, ie functions implemented by
statically-linked routines in the standard backend.  The SQL name is
now distinct from the C-language name, but that wasn't true before 6.5.
I kind of thought you had seen this and realized it would be a good
idea to have the same functionality for dynamically linked routines.

If you came up with the idea independently, it must clearly be a good
thing ;-)