Re: Comments on Database Broken - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Comments on Database Broken
Date
List pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> When comments are added to a database (testdb in this example) (either
> at the point of creation or using the "comment on database ..."
> command) they may be stored either at the system level or within the
> individual database storage area.

There is no such thing as comments "stored at the system level".
Comments live in pg_description which is a per-database table.
I think you are confusing the behavior of comments stored in template1
(which will get copied to subsequently-created databases) with a
true installation-wide table.

We could theoretically answer this by making a pg_global_description
table that is installation-wide like pg_database, but I'm not convinced
that it's worth worrying about.  I'm not even convinced that the
behavior is wrong: why shouldn't each DB be able to have its own comment
on the other DBs?

            regards, tom lane