Re: Oracle Migration Approach (Open source vs Vendor Specific) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ravi Krishna
Subject Re: Oracle Migration Approach (Open source vs Vendor Specific)
Date
List pgsql-general
> EDB or Aurora to Open source Postgres assuming we dont use AWS services OR
> would you suggest to move to Community version from the start by taking support/consultancy
> from other companies like 2nd quadrant and etc?

EDB is mainly attractive to Oracle shops who want Oracle compatibility. In my previous work place
EDB turned out to be highly compatible with PLSQL, but performance was twice as slow. This was
ver 9.5 something.  Also keep in kind EDB is not cheap.  Once you are in EDB, you are in another
closed vendor and you are locked as long as you use PLSQL. Non EDB version of PG does not
support PLSQL.

>All our developers are experienced in pl/sql so I assume it will be easier to learn
> PL/pgsql  ,isnt that right? so far only things i dont like about PL/pgsql that validation
> of program units doesnt happen until you run it ...

pl/pgsql is no match to PLSQL in productivity. I am not a fan of Oracle RDBMS, but I
think PL/SQL is top notch. If you are already using bulk collect type of features, it won't
be easy to replicate it in PL/PGSQL.
That being said, PG offers other languages too, like Java, Python, Perl. You can try them.