Re: Out of Memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Out of Memory
Date
List pgsql-general
greigwise wrote:
> All right.. one more thing here.  Any suggestions for how to set overcommit
> on a postgres db server with 16 GB of RAM and no swap?   I think I want
> vm.overcommit_memory = 2, as I understand that prevents the OOM killer from
> zapping me.   Is 100% the right way to go for overcommit_ratio?  Is there a
> drawback to this?

vm.overcommit_memory = 2
vm_overcommit_ratio = 100

Linux commits (swap * overcommit_ratio * RAM / 100),
so without any swap the correct value would be 100.

I don't know how safe it is to got entirely without swap.
I would add a little bit just to be sure.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe