ERROR ON INSERTING USING A CURSOR IN EDB POSTGRESQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From James Kitambara
Subject ERROR ON INSERTING USING A CURSOR IN EDB POSTGRESQL
Date
List pgsql-sql

ISSUE OF CURSOR ON THE EDB POSTGRESQL

I have the table books2 below with those fields on EDB PostgreSQL.

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS public.books2
(

    id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('books2_id_seq'::regclass),

    title character(10) COLLATE pg_catalog."default" NOT NULL,

    amount numeric DEFAULT 0,

    CONSTRAINT books2_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)

);

The table is populated with the following data

Inline image

I want to re-insert the records from ID 8 to 11  for the values of TITLE and AMOUNT as the ID is out-increment. To accomplish this I have created the procedure named temp_insert_in_books2() to do this

The procedure does what I wanted BUT IT GIVES ME THIS ERROR MESSAGE:

ERROR:  cursor "book_cur" does not exist

CONTEXT:  edb-spl function temp_insert_in_books2() line 15 at CLOSE

SQL state: 34000

HOW CAN I REMOVE THAT ERROR?. ALSO NOTE THAT I ALWAYS GET THIS ERROR WHEN UPDATING OR INSERTING DATA ON THE TABLE USING CURSORS.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE ASSIST.

Table Data after running the procedure is described below:

Inline image

Attachment