named generic constraints [feature request] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Caleb Cushing
Subject named generic constraints [feature request]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
So last time I checked this wasn't possible (at least not that anyone
has told me). I'd like to be able to create constraints that aren't
tied to a specific table/column.

I think that the syntax would look something like this

CREATE CONSTRAINT empty CHECK (VALUE = '\0' );

this should allow us to do thinks like

CREATE TABLE users (             username TEXT NOT empty
);

the example from create domain (modified)  is also pretty good

CREATE CONSTRAINT zip CHECK(  VALUE ~ '^\\d{5}$'
OR VALUE ~ '^\\d{5}-\\d{4}$'
);

--
Caleb Cushing