Re: On the performance of views - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: On the performance of views
Date
List pgsql-performance
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> At first I was going to just convert all MSSQL procedures to Postgres functions.
> But now that I'm looking at it, a lot of them may be candidates for views.  A
> lot of them take on the format of:

> SELECT a.cola, b.colb, c.colc
> FROM a JOIN b JOIN c
> WHERE a.prikey=$1

You'd probably be better off using views, if making that significant a
notational change is feasible for you.  Functions that return multiple
columns are notationally messy in Postgres.  A view-based solution would
be more flexible and likely have better performance.

            regards, tom lane