Re: [SQL] question on passing parameter in sql query - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chad Wagner
Subject Re: [SQL] question on passing parameter in sql query
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 2/7/07, Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98@hotmail.com> wrote:
   I don't want to compare with Oracle and postgres. But I have a situation.
  I am using psql command line tool supplied by postgres.

   In Oracle I can say

    select * from emp where emp_id = &1

   Oracle will ask:
   Enter a value for 1:

   If I enter 10, then Oracle will get the empid=10

  What is the equal command in postgres ?

It can be done, but it is a bit "different" and this method is UNIX dependent:

test=# create table data (x integer not null primary key);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "data_pkey" for table "data"
CREATE TABLE
test=# insert into data values (1),(2),(3),(4);
INSERT 0 4
test=# \set foo `head -1`
3
test=# \echo :foo
3
test=# select * from data where x = :foo;
---
 3
(1 row)

I don't believe it automatically prompts the way Oracle does.  It would be nice if there was a built-in "\prompt [VARIABLE] [TEXT]".

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/