Re: Querying distinct values from a large table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chad Wagner
Subject Re: Querying distinct values from a large table
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 1/30/07, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:
Not that it helps Igor, but we've implemented single pass sort/unique,
grouping and limit optimizations and it speeds things up to a single seqscan
over the data, from 2-5 times faster than a typical external sort.

Was that integrated back into PostgreSQL, or is that part of Greenplum's offering?

I can't think of a way that indexing would help this situation given the
required visibility check of each tuple.

I agree, using indexes as a "skinny" table is a whole other feature that would be nice.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/