Re: Moving an existing database from an old version? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chad Wagner
Subject Re: Moving an existing database from an old version?
Date
List pgsql-novice

On 1/13/07, Howard Eglowstein <howard@yankeescientific.com> wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I wouldn't have guessed that you
_can't_ just move the data, but it makes sense that you can't. I'm still
having trouble figuring out where the data is on the existing machine.
I've looked in /usr/local and /usr/share for places it might be and
there doesn't seem to be any. Yet, pg_dump clearly knows how to find it.

That's because pg_dump is connecting through the socket, not reading the data directory directly.

Last question for now (before I fire up the machine and try again): How
does postgresql know where the data lives?

When you start the database with pg_ctl (or if you run postmaster/postgres directly) then there is a -D switch which tells all of them where the data directory lives.  Take a look at your startup scripts and it should lead you to the location.  If you are using Linux, the standard location is /var/lib/pgsql/data.  Otherwise you should use "find" or "locate" to hunt down either postgresql.conf or PG_VERSION, both should live in the data directory.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/