Re: Segfaults and assertion failures with not too extraordinary views and queries - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Segfaults and assertion failures with not too extraordinary views and queries
Date
Re: Segfaults and assertion failures with not too extraordinary views and queries  (Phil Frost <phil@macprofessionals.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Phil Frost <phil@macprofessionals.com> writes:
> I have been attempting to migrate my application from 8.1 to 8.2.3.
> In doing so, I found some queries would always cause the postgres
> backend to die with a segfault. I was advised to rebuild with --
> enable-debug --enable-cassert, and so I did. The same query would now
> cause an assertion failure instead of segfaulting.

Hm, I see the assert failure, but this example doesn't seem to crash
when asserts are off, and I'd not expect it to: it should either work or
elog(ERROR) in ExecRestrPos.  So maybe you've found more than one issue.
Can you get a stack trace from a case that causes a non-assert core
dump?  (You don't need to rebuild, just set debug_assertions = 0 while
testing.)

            regards, tom lane