Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3
Date
List pgsql-general
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
> No core dump but here is the message from vacuum verbose analyze;

> NOTICE:  --Relation pg_rewrite--
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

Can't tell much from that, except that the backend crashed, which
*should* leave a core dump.

On some platforms (eg, most Linux distros), processes started from
system boot scripts are by default started under "ulimit -c 0", which
prevents core dumps.  To get more information about what's happening,
I recommend restarting the postmaster with "ulimit -c unlimited" so that
crashed backends will leave core files.  While you're at it, make sure
you are starting the postmaster without -S, and redirect its stdout and
stderr into some convenient logfile.  The postmaster log might also
contain useful info about what's going wrong...

            regards, tom lane