Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ah-hah, I've sussed it ... you didn't actually change the storage
>> representation.  You wrote:

> Yeah, I came to the same conclusion this morning (update longdna set dna
> = dna || '';), but it still seems that the chunked table is very
> slightly faster than the substring on the  externally stored column:

> dna=# explain analyze select pdna from dna where foffset > 6000000 and
> foffset < 6024000;
>                                                      QUERY PLAN
>   Index Scan using foffset_idx on dna  (cost=0.00..4.22 rows=14
> width=32) (actual time=0.07..0.16 rows=11 loops=1)
>     Index Cond: ((foffset > 6000000) AND (foffset < 6024000))
>   Total runtime: 0.25 msec
> (3 rows)

> dna=# explain analyze select substr(dna,6002000,20000) from longdna;
>                                             QUERY PLAN
>   Seq Scan on longdna  (cost=0.00..1.01 rows=1 width=32) (actual
> time=0.23..0.24 rows=1 loops=1)
>   Total runtime: 0.29 msec
> (2 rows)

This isn't a totally fair comparison, though, since the second case is
actually doing the work of assembling the chunks into a single string,
while the first is not.  Data-copying alone would probably account for
the difference.

I would expect that the two would come out to essentially the same cost
when fairly compared, since the dna table is nothing more nor less than
a hand implementation of the TOAST concept.  The toaster's internal
fetching of toasted data segments ought to be equivalent to the above
indexscan.  The toaster would have a considerable edge on Scott's
implementation when it came to assembling the chunks, since it's working
in C and not in plpgsql, but the table access costs ought to be just
about the same.

            regards, tom lane