Re: killing a hung postgres process brings down the Postgres database server on MAC OS X! - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: killing a hung postgres process brings down the Postgres database server on MAC OS X!
Date
List pgsql-admin
Qing Zhao <qzhao@supplyfx.com> writes:
> If we do "kill -9 pid" to get rid of the deserted process, it bring
> down the PG database server entirely.

It's supposed to.

> Is there a way to kill the dead processes/thread without really affect
> the PG server?

It will time out by itself eventually (order of a couple hours probably
--- it depends on your TCP stack).  You can try a SIGINT or SIGTERM.
SIGINT is safe but may or may not cause the backend to quit.  SIGTERM
will make it quit, but I'm not prepared to guarantee that SIGTERM won't
have bad side effects.  I'd suggest waiting...

            regards, tom lane