Re: Different results from identical matviews - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Different results from identical matviews
Date
Re: Different results from identical matviews
List pgsql-general
Anders Steinlein <anders@e5r.no> writes:
> We have a materialized view from which a customer reported some
> confusing/invalid results, leading us to inspect the query and not finding
> anything wrong. Running the query defining the matview manually, or
> creating a new (identical) materialized view returns the correct result.
> Obviously, we've done REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW just before doing the
> comparison, and all runs are in the same schema.

I suspect the query underlying the matviews is less deterministic than
you think it is.  I did not study that query in any detail, but just
from a quick eyeball: the array_agg() calls with no attempt to enforce a
particular aggregation order are concerning, and so is grouping by
a citext column (where you'll get some case-folding of a common value,
but who knows which).

            regards, tom lane