Re: strange problem with ip6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: strange problem with ip6
Date
Re: strange problem with ip6  (Christian Kratzer <ck-lists@cksoft.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 06:42:39PM +0200, Christian Kratzer wrote:
>> of a specific interface. This is why bsd based oprating systems append
>> %ifname to the address so that they know which Interface this address

> Oh, I forgot about that wart in RFC4007.  Thanks for the cluestick.

>> There is propbaly not much point in using link local addreses for postgres.

> I think that's not quite right.  For instance, JDBC can't use UNIX
> domain sockets last I checked, and I can imagine using it in a
> disconnected context where you'd want to emulate multiple connection
> points.  Link local addresses would be perfect for this.  So I think
> it might be a bug, because Postgres isn't accepting the address
> specification for scoped addresses.  (In the local 8.1.x version I
> have installed here, the inet type doesn't accept it either.) Now
> that I re-read it, RFC4007 seems to be pretty clear that the scope
> info is a necessary part of the addressing, so I don't think it can
> be thrown away before looking at the address.

It seems the correct solution here is to extend the inet type to support
RFC4007 "zone_id" strings.  Yech.  Not going to happen as a bug fix,
but we should probably put it on the TODO list.

As a temporary workaround, should we hack the server to suppress any
%-foo found in the result of getnameinfo()?

            regards, tom lane