Re: PGSQL manager password lost. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: PGSQL manager password lost.
Date
List pgsql-admin
> Hi folks, new to this mailing group and here are my first questions.
>
> We've been running a PGSQL database for a while now on a Weenblows 2K
> server, on version 8.0.something.
>
> Our resident DBA has been shown the door and has taken with himself the
> admin password to get into the databases we run in PostGreSQL.
>
> Question 1: Is there any way to recover and/or reset the administrator
> password in a database or do I have to recreate the db from scratch?

if you edit your pg_hba.conf file to trust for user postgres, you will be able to log in without
any password once you restart postgresql.  From there you are able to chance what ever passwords
you want.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

> Question 2: One of the DB's we run in PGSQL for reasons outside my control
> needs to be moved to M$-SQL server. Is there any way that anyone is aware of
> that I can export the database definition and data (table structures, views
> etc) into a format usable by SQL server - I know M$ speaks it's own version
> of SQL which I've run into problems with in the past. Just looking for some
> suggestions on what I can do, otherwise I have to wade through a few
> thousand lines of SQL to make it workable in M$.

if you use the dos command pg_dump, or pg_dumpall you can dump these database and other objects
just a sql script file will DDL and data.  However, you will have to read the help files on
pg_dump to decided what information you want to have added to the sql script.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/backup-dump.html

Is is possible to pipe
> table structures/views through an ODBC connection?

yes postgresql a odbc driver that you can use,  it also has an oledb driver but my understanding
is that it isn't as polished as the ODBC driver.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/

 Is this something I
> should be asking on M$ forums?

You may in-fact find prebuilt scripts that will automated most of this for you there, but I would
know one way or the other.  In the future, if "the powers at be" what to give the most
powerful/versatile Open Source RDMS a second try, you will find plenty of tools and script to port
or MS-SQL to Postgresql.

I hope your other DBA was canned for being a stanch Postgresql supporter. :o)

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.