Re: [GENERAL] Why does increasing the precision of a numeric column rewrites the table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Why does increasing the precision of a numeric column rewrites the table?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> I don't understand why going from numeric(12,2) to numeric(15,3) would require a table rewrite.

The comment for numeric_transform explains this:
* Flatten calls to numeric's length coercion function that solely represent* increases in allowable precision.  Scale
changesmutate every datum, so* they are unoptimizable.  Some values, e.g. 1E-1001, can only fit into an* unconstrained
numeric,so a change from an unconstrained numeric to any* constrained numeric is also unoptimizable.

The issue is basically that changing '1.00' to '1.000' requires a change
in the actually-stored value.