Re: Bug #903: Performance Hangs during Lookups - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #903: Performance Hangs during Lookups
Date
List pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> We have a postgres backend to our Mail Server product, and encountering
> performance issues.  Simple selects are taking 7-10 seconds..

strace is not a particularly useful level of analysis for Postgres
performance problems.  I'd suggest looking at your database schema,
the queries you're issuing, and the plans shown by EXPLAIN for those
queries.

I do notice that the bit of trace you've shown us seems to consist of
the startups of two Postgres backend processes.  If that's the bulk of
your activity then you need to think about connection pooling.  You want
to be issuing more than one useful query per backend launch.

In any case this seems a bit off-topic for pgsql-bugs.  I'd suggest
reviewing the pgsql-performance archives, and then posting there if the
solution hasn't become apparent.

            regards, tom lane