Installing support for python on windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From novnov
Subject Installing support for python on windows
Date
Re: Installing support for python on windows  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I've spent a couple of hours on this and would like to ask for an assist at
this point. I need to install python support on windows. The postgresql
install is the windows 8.2.0-1 binary, and pl/pgsql was included in the
initial installation. I have python 2.5 installed. The workstation's path
does not ref either the python or postgres directories.

- I take it that plpython is what I should be installing? I first read in
this list that psycopg is commonly used to work with python in postgres, and
I installed the windows port of that, but 'nothing happened' ie no python
lang support materialized. I'm not at all sure what the score is with
psycopg and plpython, but am now aiming for plpython as that seems to be the
offering that is included with the postgres installer. But I'm curious, why
psycopg when plpython is there? Are they complimentary, or should it be one
or the other?

- The postgresql docs reference plpythonu (untrusted) but what I find in
\lib is plpython? Are the docs out of date or am I mixing up information?
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/plpython.html)

- Per most docs the installation of a language is done with createlang. I've
tried many times and cannot get the syntax right. Typically I log in to psql
in the \bin directory as the main postgres user. After that, a typical
attempt is looks like this:

postgres=# createlang 'd:\postgresql\lib\plpython' mydb;

Typical error is:
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "createlang"
LINE 1: createlang d:

This is a later attempt where I've added the lib path. I've tried no path,
double quotes, many things. I've tried executing from the windows command
line (ie not while in psql), adding the dll extension. Rather than spending
the rest of the year on this (ie ten hours <g>) I hope someone can knock out
a line or two to steer me in the right direction.