Re: Updating pg_attribute - Permission denied - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updating pg_attribute - Permission denied
Date
List pgsql-general
"Trewern, Ben" <Ben.Trewern@mowlem.com> writes:
> Looks like I have turned off usecatupd in pg_shadow. Doh!  Was mucking
> around with permissions some time ago but not had any trouble up till now.
> Any ideas how to switch it back? Update pg_shadow SET usecatupd .....  gives
> me Permission denied!!!

Catch-22, ain't it?  I think the only workaround at the moment is to
create a new user with superuser privileges (who will have usecatupd
true), become him, and fix your own usecatupd via UPDATE.  Then you
can discard the new superuser identity.

A cleaner solution would be to have an ALTER USER variant that allows
setting/clearing usecatupd.  Item for TODO list ...

            regards, tom lane