Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Konstantin Knizhnik
Subject Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date
Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables  ("曾文旌(义从)" <wenjing.zwj@alibaba-inc.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 25.10.2019 20:00, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> So except the limitation mentioned above (which I do not consider as critical) there is only one problem which was not addressed: maintaining statistics for GTT.
>> If all of the following conditions are true:
>>
>> 1) GTT are used in joins
>> 2) There are indexes defined for GTT
>> 3) Size and histogram of GTT in different backends can significantly vary.
>> 4) ANALYZE was explicitly called for GTT
>>
>> then query execution plan built in one backend will be also used for other backends where it can be inefficient.
>> I also do not consider this problem as "show stopper" for adding GTT to Postgres.
> I think that's *definitely* a show stopper.
Well, if both you and Pavel think that it is really "show stopper", then
this problem really has to be addressed.
I slightly confused about this opinion, because Pavel has told me
himself that 99% of users never create indexes for temp tables
or run "analyze" for them. And without it, this problem is not a problem
at all.

Users doesn't do ANALYZE on temp tables in 99%. It's true. But second fact is so users has lot of problems. It's very similar to wrong statistics on persistent tables. When data are small, then it is not problem for users, although from my perspective it's not optimal. When data are not small, then the problem can be brutal. Temporary tables are not a exception. And users and developers are people - we know only about fatal problems. There are lot of unoptimized queries, but because the problem is not fatal, then it is not reason for report it. And lot of people has not any idea how fast the databases can be. The knowledges of  users and app developers are sad book.

Pavel

It seems to me that I have found quite elegant solution for per-backend statistic for GTT: I just inserting it in backend's catalog cache, but not in pg_statistic table itself.
To do it I have to add InsertSysCache/InsertCatCache functions which insert pinned entry in the correspondent cache.
I wonder if there are some pitfalls of such approach?

New patch for GTT is attached.
--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company