Re: a very naive question about table names in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: a very naive question about table names in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/01/22 09:27, Martin Mueller wrote:

> I have a very naïve question and don’t know where tp  look for the
> answer.  I use Postgres via AquaData Studio as a giant spreadsheet.  I
> create tables and give them names. I see the table names  and know how
> to manipulate them with simple SQL queries.
>
> I know that on my Mac the tables are  kept in the  data directory
> /Users/martinmueller/Library/Application Support/Postgres/var-13.  If
> I go there I see that internally the tables have numbers.  Somewhere
> in the system there must be a table that maps the name I gave to table
> X  to the numerical  inside the database.
>
> Where is that mapping and how can I query it?  On what page of the
> documentation do I find the answer?
>
> I much prefer Postgres to Mysql for  a variety of reasons, but mostly
> for its elegant string functions. But in Mysql it seems to be much
> easier to keep track of tables.
>
> Martin Mueller
>
> Professor emeritus of English and Classics
>
> Northwestern University

Hi Martin.

Don't know why you want the information you appear to be asking!

However, if you are up to learning how to use psql from the command
line, then you have an extremely powerful tool to use to query and
manipulate tables in PostgreSQL!  I set up SQL in text files and get
psql to execute them (\i my_query.sql) -- you can execute SQL directly
in psql, but that is really only good for very simply queries.  I find
that using psql & a text editor a lot easier than using a GUI based tool.

Cheers,
Gavin