pg_restore performance on solaris 10/6 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Burns
Subject pg_restore performance on solaris 10/6
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We recently started using a Sun x4200 with Solaris 10/6 (the release
from jun of 2006) and postgresql 8.1.3.  I think I may need to do some
tuning, but have no idea what to change.  Using pg_restore to restore
our database literally takes 8 times longer on the x4200 as it does on
OS X (the x4200 hardware should be considerably faster -- it has better
drives, more RAM, faster processors and 4 cores vs 2 cores).  The
loadavg
on the x4200 during the restore is extremely low -- about 0.01 (on OS X,
it would be more like 1.5 or 2.0).  Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks,
Tom Burns