Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
Subject Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1
Date
List pgadmin-support
This is going to be complicated so I'll try to be as succinct as possible.

I am trying to port two PostgreSQL databases from a Linux system to Windows.  After I do that, I will use a tool to
convertthe two databases to Access.  I know this can be done - another person already did it.  The problem is that it
willbe necessary to periodically repeat this process to keep the Access databases up to date.  The person who did the
originaltransfer is on extended medical leave and no one here has a clue how to do it.  To describe the
directions/recipeto accomplish this process as "sketchy" is a gross understatement.

Here's where I am at this point.  I dumped the schema and insert table files on Linux and ported them to Windows.  I
editedthem per the instructions.  I'm now ready to use the two files to create the first database.  In the pgAdmin
tool,the database name exists - it has what appears to be some placeholder information.  The directions say, and I
quote:
"Select the [database name], then select SQ and open file."  [there is no "SQ"]  I think that is a typo and refers to
theSQL icon on the toolbar which is mentioned later in the directions.  I ended up choosing that.  To continue...

"Select the xsYYYYMMDD file (s is for schema and x is for [either of the two databases]).  Run the program but make
sureyou select the run pgsql file option or it will just execute 1 command at a time.  This will load your schema files
(makethe tables).  Check the database schema tables to make sure the tables have loaded."

Here is how I proceeded.  When I selected the SQL icon a window appeared.  I decided to try to load the schema.  That
appearedto work in that the SQL commands appeared in the window.  There was no "run pqsql" command anywhere.  I went to
thedrop-down and selected something like run pg script - I think the keystroke was F7 (I'm away from the lab, which has
nonetwork access).  There was a log window that seemed to show all of the commands in the file being executed.  I got a
messagethat everything was complete.  Then I repeated the same process with xALLYYYMMDD, which is all of the table
inserts. Got a similar completion message.

Here's the problem.  I don't think anything happened.  I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.  If I'm able to
verifythat the database is actually populated, what steps do I follow to save to disk?

My experience with databases is strictly limited to running a few queries.  If I can get the PostgreSQL databases
convertedto Access, they will be used as inputs to a C++ program I developed.  My only interest in this has been the
program- the database was, until recently, someone else's responsibility.  It is imperative that the directions, which
Iam rewriting so that they are comprehensible, can be used by someone like me - that is, someone with essentially NO
databaseknowledge whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Hager

Computer Scientist