Re: review: FDW API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: review: FDW API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Some quick comments on that:

> * I wonder if CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER should automatically create
> the handler function, if it doesn't exist yet. That's what CREATE
> LANGUAGE does, which is similar. Although it doesn't seem to be
> documented for CREATE LANGUAGE either, is it deprecated?

Doing that would require the equivalent of pg_pltemplate for FDWs, no?
I think we're a long way from wanting to do that.  Also, it seems to me
that add-on FDWs are likely to end up getting packaged as extensions,
so the extension machinery will probably render the question moot pretty
soon.