Re: Add hint for function named "is" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add hint for function named "is"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Half a percent for two productions is not bad, but I think the real
> win would be in removing ambiguity from the grammar.  We get periodic
> complaints about the fact that things like "SELECT 3 cache" don't work
> because cache is an unreserved keyword, and postfix operators are one
> of the reasons why we can't do better:

Agreed, if postfix operators were the only thing standing between us and
fixing that, it would be a pretty strong argument for removing them.

> I think I experimented with this a while ago and found that even after
> removing postfix operators there was at least one other grammar
> problem that prevented us from accepting ColLabel there.  I gave up
> and didn't dig further, but maybe we should.

Yes, it would be good to find that out.  I think there's a whole bunch of
intertwined issues there, though; this isn't likely to be an easy change.
The comment at gram.y lines 679ff lists several things that are relevant,
and might or might not be simplifiable without postfix ops.