Re: Calculated view fields (8.1 != 8.2) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Calculated view fields (8.1 != 8.2)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gaetano Mendola <gmendola@mbigroup.it> writes:
> I can immagine a case when a lower module exports a view to upper layer stating
> the interface as list of fields:

> first_name, last_name, ....

> with an *hidden* field that is a function call that updates the statistics on
> how many time a given record was selected, then this technique can not be used
> anymore starting with 8.2.x.

You're living in a dream world if you think that works reliably in *any*
version of Postgres.  But for starters, what is your definition of
"selected" --- pulled from the physical table?  Accumulated into an
aggregate?  Delivered as a recognizable row to the client?  Delivered N
times to the client due to joining N times to some other table?