Re: [GENERAL] pg_basebackup issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_basebackup issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/22/2017 08:13 AM, chiru r wrote:
> But, SUPERUSER privileges are working, you can see above I am able to do
> CREATEUSER and CREATEDB.
>
> What is the differences in case A and case B for Superuser?

I had flash of insight while driving. The insight being that the problem
is down to this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-pgbasebackup.html
--dbname=connstr
"
     Specifies parameters used to connect to the server, as a connection
string. See Section 32.1.1 for more information.

     The option is called --dbname for consistency with other client
applications, but because pg_basebackup doesn't connect to any
particular database in the cluster, database name in the connection
string will be ignored.
"

Have not looked into the source to see how pg_basebackup connects,
however I am guessing what ever it does bypasses the mechanism for doing
SET ROLE on connection. In pg_hba the 'dummy' database replication is
used for replication connections, which is what pg_basebackup does.
Since it is not an actual database there would seem to be no way for the
alter user backup_admin set role to dba_admin setting to take effect.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com