Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ?
Date
Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ?  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ?  ("Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Question: pg_class attributes and race conditions ?  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Any thoughts on the overall approach ?

Fragile and full of race conditions :-(.  I thought from the beginning
that CREATE INDEX might be a showstopper for the whole HOT concept,
and it's starting to look like that's the case.

I think what we need to get away from is the assumption that HOT-ness
for one index is the same as HOT-ness for all.  What if we only applied
HOT to primary-key indexes, so that there was certainly not more than
one index per table that the property applies to?